I have never been much of sandwich person. To me, a real meal should be warm and planned out. However, after I created this, my stance on sandwiches took a complete turn. I also have a hard time finding sandwich meats that are nitrate-free and preservative-free. I have even seen deli meats, that contain sugar, high fructose corn syrup, corn, starches, or wheat. With this deli-style roast beef recipe you can be certain of the ingredients that you are putting in your body…just meat, oil, salt and spices, no junk and no fillers.
You can also enjoy this warm as you would any other roast, or slice it thinly to make sandwiches with it.
I have been enjoying watching my number of Facebook friends increase, to me that means that people care about what they eat and are enjoying my recipes, but today I learned about a part of my Facebook stats that shows me how many people have un-liked my page, at first I was a little bummed and started trying to find out what made them leave. I noticed that on the days that I posted something related to meat or discussing prop 37, the number of un-likes increased considerably. Aside from this, I have been avoiding posting meat recipes because it often means that angry vegetarians or vegans are going to start trolling my page, by this I am not generalizing because I know I have a large number of followers who are vegetarians or eat grains and are completely respectful and supportive of my page. But today I realized that this is my page, and I should be free to post about the things that I consider healthy and delicious. I also understood why those “un-likes” are also a good thing. As I say often, “Eat and let eat.”
I round grass-fed beef round eye roast (approx 4 lbs) *
Olive oil or melted coconut oil
Favorite spices (thyme, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Paleo sandwich you need a few large cucumbers, lettuce, shredded carrots, sliced bell peppers, cherry tomatoes and your favorite condiments
- Rub the meat with the oil and spices
- Cover it and let it sit outside the fridge for about 1-3 hours to bring to room temperature
- Preheat oven to 500 F
- Bake the meat at 500 for 20 minutes
- Reduce heat to 300 and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until desired doneness. Check the inside temperature by inserting a meat thermometer in the center of the roast. For rare remove the meat when the thermometer reads 120 F, for medium rare remove at 125 F, 135 for medium, and 140 for well done
- Remove the roast from the oven, cover with parchment paper and let stand for about 15 minutes before carving
- Cut the meat against the grain into thin slices and eat warm.
- If you are making deli-style reast beef for sandwiches, wrap the meat with plastic wrap, refrigerate over night of for a few hours and then cut into very thin slices
For the paleo sandwich
- Peel the cucumbers (optional)
- Remove a thin slice lengthwise from the side of the cucumber, this will prevent the cucumber from rolling
- If the cucumber is to large to comfortably bite into it, cut a slice out from the middle and reserve to make another sandwich with it.
- Scoop the seeds out of the two outer slices and fill with the meat and other fixings.
Serve an enjoy preferably during meatless Monday
* Most round roast have about the same thicknes and shapes, so the cooking time for them is about the same regardless of their weight.
Primal Life Kit isn't just another e-book bundle. When I first saw the list of contributing authors, my jaw just dropped. Most of the primal/paleo public figures that I look up to and have inspired me throughout my paleo/primal journey are participating in this life-changing bundle. I am excited to see Mark Sisson, Sarah Ballantyne, Loren Cordain, and many others on this list. These are the people who have helped me regain my health through real food. Whether you are looking to start a new healthier lifestyle or are just in need of more recipes and ideas to support your current goals, this bundle has all the information and support that you need.
What's The Primal Life Kit?The people at PaleoPlan.com have put together a really exciting opportunity for you! When you purchase the $39 Primal Life Kit, you get 49 ebooks and other online products plus 14 discounts worth over $1500:
- 35 Paleo and Primal e-Cookbooks and Informational eBooks ($498 Value)
- 3 research papers by Dr. Loren Cordain ($15 Value)
- 1 Online Cooking Club subscription ($39 Value)
- 3 Fitness Programs ($67 Value)
- 2 Paleo Challenges ($44 Value)
- 2 Meal Plans ($69 Value)
- 2 Online Magazine Subscriptions ($36 Value)
- 1 Bonus Video about Eating Paleo on the Road
- 14 Discounts ($757+ Value) Learn more about it here