We are in the middle of a heat wave here in southern California and this Dairy-Free Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is the perfect way to beat the heat!
Everyone keeps complaining about the weather, they are over the extended summer and anxiously waiting for the days to cool off. Not me. Growing up in Costa Rica, where the weather is warm year-round, I really dislike the cold. Anyways, I have been “playing” with my ice cream machine a lot lately. I’ve been making ice cream almost every day. This one was a total hit, it was extra creamy and hard to believe that it is dairy free. I used a little bit of avocado to make it extra creamy and give it a little bit more of a green color. When choosing an avocado, make sure that it is not too green or 2 ripe. If you use an over-ripened avocado, you will be able to taste the avocado in the ice cream.
For the chocolate chips
¼ cup of coconut oil
3 tbsp of raw honey
3 tbsp of raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
- Melt the coconut oil.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in the honey and cacao and combine very well.
- Line a dish with parchment paper and pour the mixture over it.
- Place it in the freezer.
- Once the chocolate is set, cut into small pieces and keep in the freezer until ready to use
For the Ice Cream
14 ounces of full fat canned coconut milk or homemade coconut milk
1/3 cup of avocado puree
1/3 cups of mint leaves
Sweetener to taste, I used 1/3 cup of raw honey
- Using a blender combine all the ingredients.
- Follow your ice cream maker instructions.
- When the ice cream is almost done, add the chocolate chips.
- Transfer ice cream to a container and put in the freezer for at least an hour before serving.
For other ice cream recipes, click here