I shouldn’t really call this a recipe as it is more like an idea for a side dish. I grew up eating them almost daily and they are the easiest dish to make. A plantain looks just like an over-sized banana; if your plantains are still green you can make patacones instead.
Oil for frying (I used coconut oil)
- Peel plantains; the easiest way to do it is to cut the ends, cut a slit on the peel lengthwise, and remove the peel.
- Cut plantain in half and slice each half in four lengthwise, you can also just slice it into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Heat the oil (you only need a couple of tablespoons).
- Fry each side until golden brown, I actually like them a little on the charred side.
- Sprinkle cinnamon or cotija cheese (optional) and serve.