Canned tomato sauces are one of the worst sources of BPA exposure, as the acidity in the tomato causes the chemical to leach into your food more so than other canned products.
You no longer need to bake or simmer your tomatoes for 4+ hours to make tomato paste. Here is a little shortcut!
1 lb of very ripe tomatoes
1/4 bell pepper
1 tsp of sea salt
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 250 F
- Using a blender of food processor, blend the first 4 ingredients together.
- Transfer to a saucepan, bring to a boil and continue to cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Using an almond milk bag strain the tomato paste removing the excess fluid.
- Transfer tomato paste to a sterilized glass jar and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Cover with olive oil and store in the refrigerator
Tips: To extend its shelf life make sure that the tomato paste is always covered by the olive oil and replenish as needed.
Each pound of tomatoes makes about 3/4 cup of tomato paste will last several months if it’s only handled with clean utensils.