I am married to a “chocoholic”. I know most people enjoy and look forward to an occasional piece of chocolate, but my husband takes it to the next level, he HAS to have chocolate everyday. Since I’ve met him, I could probably count with my fingers the days he hasn’t had at least a tiny piece of chocolate, some raw chocolate pudding, cashew chocolate energy bites (recipe coming soon) or at least a glass of almond chocolate milk. These Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes with extra servings of the chocolate maple sauce were a special breakfast treat for him on father’s day.
As most of my recipes, these were easy to make and call for ingredients that are commonly found in a grain-free pantry. For the chocolate chips, there are currently 2 healthy options that I know of:
1) “Enjoy Life” Chocolate chips (buy here), are soy-free and dairy-free, but they are sweetened with evaporated cane juice
2) Tempered Cacao Paste by Sunfood (buy here); this has only one ingredient: certified organic cacao
The cacao paste is not sweetened and it can be a bit bitter on its own, but since these pancakes are already sweetened with the bananas and the chocolate maple sauce, they work just fine.
3 small bananas or 2 medium ones
1 cup of almond flour
1 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tbsp of coconut oil plus more for greasing the griddle
1/4 cup of Enjoy Life chocolate chips or small pieces of tempered cacao paste
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender until smooth, if you do not own a blender you can use a food processor or finely mash the bananas with a fork and whisk all the ingredients together until the batter is smooth and uniform.
- If the batter is too thick add 1-2 tbsp of water, almond milk or coconut milk (consistency will vary depending on the size of the eggs and the bananas).
- Heat a pan or griddle to medium heat and lightly grease with coconut oil.
- Pour small amounts of batter on the griddle to form 3 inch circles, and sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of each pancake.
- When the top of the pancake starts to bubble, turn and continue to cook until the center of the pancake is done.
Ingredients for the Chocolate Sauce
1/4 cup of coconut oil
1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao
1/4 cup of maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- In a small saucepan melt all the ingredients together over low heat and pour over pancake.