I am very excited about this Paleo S’mores recipe. I wasn’t worried about the chocolate or cookie recipe, but I didn’t have high expectations for the marshmallows. Luckily they turned out awesome, they even melted with heat like a regular marshmallow.
I made vanilla and chocolate marshmallows, but you can add different flavorings instead. You can experiment with lemon, orange, coconut, or almond extract.
The chocolate and marshmallows must remain refrigerated or in a cooler until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Using your hands, knead and massage the dough until uniform.
- Roll the dough into a ball and place between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Using a rolling-pin or the palms of your hands flatten the dough into a thin cracker width layer.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Keep an eye on them because they burn fast.
- Immediately after taking out from the oven cut into desired shape, using a sharp knife.
- Allow them to cool for 3 to 4 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack until crispy.
Ingredients for the Marshmallows:
I cup of honey
4 tbsp of unflavored gelatin
1 cup of water, divided in half
1 tsp of vanilla or 2-3 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a small saucepan bring ½ cup of water plus the honey to a gentle boil.
- In a separate mixing bowl using a stand up mixer on medium high-speed, mix the remaining ½ cup of water and the gelatin.
- Start pouring the hot honey into the gelatin mixture VERY slowly while the mixer is running. Pour the honey into the side bowl and not directly into the gelatin to avoid curdling. This process should take about 3 minutes.
- Leave the mixer on for about 15 minutes or until the mixture has the consistency of a foamy shaving cream.
- While the mixer is still running, mix in the vanilla, cocoa powder or flavor of choice.
- Immediately transfer to a greased or plastic lined baking dish or mold.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until set.
- Cut into desired shape.
Ingredients for the chocolate:
- Fill a saucepan with a couple of inches of water and bring to a gentle boil.
- Place the ingredients into a heat-resistant bowl and set over the simmering water until the chocolate is melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Allow the chocolate to cool down while until it reaches about 85 degrees (If you pour the chocolate while it is still too hot the honey will separate from the rest of the ingredients).
- Pour into molds or spread over a parchment paper and place in the freezer until set.
- Store in the refrigerator.
To assemble the S’mores melt the marshmallow over the fire and sandwich between two cookies and a piece of chocolate.