Here we have a healthier version of a traditional chocolate bar. These guilt-free paleo almond joy bars are much more tasty than the store-bought ones. You can sweeten them with honey, raw honey, or maple syrup. I like the flavor of maple syrup much better, but if you use raw honey they are a little bit easier to work with and less crumbly.
For the chocolate shell you have several options, you can follow the recipe below using tempered cacao paste or any unsweetened chocolate bar (preferably soy-free), you can make my raw chocolate recipe or you can just melt Enjoy Life Chocolate chips or your favorite sweetened chocolate bar.
Ingredients for the Filling:
1 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
3 tbsp of softened coconut oil
¼ tsp of almond extract
pinch of sea salt
8 -10 almonds
Ingredients for the Chocolate
3 tbsp of coconut oil
¼ cup of maple syrup
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut, coconut oil, maple syrup, almond extract and salt until an uniform paste is formed.
- Wrap a small square container with plastic wrap and pressed the mixture into it forming a layer about ¾ inch thick.
- Press the almonds on top of the mixture, evenly distributed.
- Freeze for 20-30 minutes and cut the coconut filling into desired shape.
- Return filling to the freezer.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan, gently melt all the ingredients for the chocolate shell and allow to cool off until the mixtures thickens to a heavy syrup consistency.
- Dip the coconut bars into the chocolate and freeze until the chocolate is hard.
- If necessary coat in chocolate one more time.
- Transfer and store in the refrigerator
WARNING! Keep away from sneaky children, they may hide in a corner with a tray full of theses